Saturday, February 27, 2010

Moses Roper: A day in the life of a slave

I, Moses Roper was born a slave in Caswell County, North Carolina. My father was a plantation owner and my mother was a slave. My mother tried to kill me days after I was born.My grandmother saved my life. Six years later my mother and I were split up by slave masters.
You never can tell what time it is so when the sun up I'm up when the sun down I'm down. Well actually I'm up sometimes when the sun down. This morning I woke up When the sun was on its way up. I live with 5 other people. Every morning I get 1 bowl of oatmeal then I'm off to work. First i report to my master to find out which one of his field i work in today. Once i find out I'm on my way. Along the way it get so hot it seem like the sun right next to you. I pick cotton from day to just about night with no break. I hum negro spirituals while i pick cotton. It just about keep me busy. Also I vision myself running far far away from here on one of my master boats or horses. I see it happening real soon. When you try something dangerous like that bad things come with that. I could beat until my skin fall off. Maybe they will kill me. If its worth my freedom I will try it. After picking cotton all day in the hot sun with mixed thoughts of running away and putting up with slavery I'm very tired. I go back to my hut where I'm able to lay down after being up all day. I can drink water and eat the one meal I have. I'm tired but have to do the same thing tomorrow. MAYBE!

No comments: